Please note the curriculum section of our website is under review and the information below may be subject to change.
Key Stage 3:
Purpose of Study
Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world. High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the nation.
The national curriculum for design and technology aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
At LSA we work to ensure that all students have the opportunity to complete a programme of study that suits the Design and Technology national curriculum for key stage 3.
Students will complete the following topics;
- Food Preparation and Nutrition – Hygiene and Safety, Nutrition, Diet and Health.
- Smart Electronics – Using Microprocessors to control programmable Technology.
- Materials – Design and Make a Clock
- Computer Aided Design – Learning a 2d design software package to Laser cut a product.
- Fashion and Textiles – Using sewing and printing techniques to create a cushion design.
- Food Preparation and Nutrition – Influences on food Choices and Food Science.
- Electronics – Design and make a circuit to produce a torch product.
- Materials – Manufacture a USB product using industrial processes.
- Computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Manufacture – Using 3d Drawing on the computer and 3d printing to produce some Architecture.
- Fashion and Textiles – Printing techniques and use of the Sewing machines to complete a Bag for Life product.